(620) 767-7388


The county was established on ancient grounds of the Kaw American Indian tribe. Settlers and the Kaw lived in an increasingly uneasy relationship as settlers encroached on native lands.

Council Grove, established by European Americans in 1825, was an important supply station on the Santa Fe Trail. The town was also the site of an encampment by John C. Fremont in 1845 and in 1849 the Overland Mail established a supply headquarters there.[citation needed] From 1821 to 1866, the Santa Fe Trail was active across Morris County.

The county was originally organized as Wise County in 1855. The county was named for Virginia Governor Henry A. Wise. When Wise presided over the hanging of abolitionist John Brown at Harpers Ferry in 1859, abolition supporters renamed it to Morris County in honor of Thomas Morris, a former United States Senator from Ohio who was an opponent of slavery.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 703 square miles (1,820 km2), of which 695 square miles (1,800 km2) is land and 7.6 square miles (20 km2) (1.1%) is water.

History of Morris County by John Maloy 1820 - 1890

This is a large file and may take a while to load.


(620) 767-7388



Methuselah's Children, Readers Theatre and dinner

Methuselah's Children, a play by Bishop Jeannette James, performed by a Readers Theatre Interpretation, about the Exodusters of the 1870's,the settlement of the black community in Dunlap.

Sunday Dinner

Sunday, March 4. chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes, 12 - 2, theatre at 2.